Thursday, December 18, 2008

To the rescue

Wow, so busy. I joined the fire department here on the island about a year ago then joined the water rescue team and then I'm taking the EMT-B course this winter. Did I mention I'm also the treasurer for the Islesboro Ambulance Association. Oh yeah, and I also take care of close to fifty animals seven days a week. So if any kind of accident happens on this island I'm sure to be there, including someone in the water. We went swimming last week during the big storm to see what it would be like in the waves, the water actually felt warm. The week before that the water temp was 46 degrees! We of course wear wet or dry suits to keep warm, and it's not being in the water that's a challenge it getting out into the cold air! I've always loved to swim and by joining the wet team I can swim year round. I've even had Diesel out there with us during a drill. But he's not much help, while my team mate were trying to "rescue" me, Diesel was trying to get them to throw the tennis ball and splashing them in the face. It was all good fun.

We had one of the biggest fires on the island that we've ever had the other day and I missed it! They were burning brush at the transfer station and one of the embers lit a mattress on fire in one of the big dumpsters. Under the mattress were wooden pallets them asphalt shingles, I guess it really got going. I was on the mainland when it happened so I didn't get to go, I didn't realize until joining the fire department how much of an adrenaline junkie I really am!

Anyway I hope all is well and please leave me posts and let me know what you are up to!

No comments: