Tuesday, December 23, 2008

First ambulance run!

So before I can be an EMT I had to learn to be an ambulance driver. I first took an AVOC (ambulatory vehicle operations course) class which included eight hours of class time plus a lab where we had to drive an obstacle course. Then I had to drive around the island for ten hours with a Field Training Officer (FTO) and back down lots of driveways. Then I was supposed to do at least two probationary runs on the mainland, actually driving to the hospital with lights and sirens. Fred, my chief, said after my tens hours that I could skip the probationary runs because both of my FTO's rated me as excellent! So yesterday we got and call and I was the only driver to show up. Woohoo, it was fun. You gotta love going down route one in Camden and watching all the traffic move over for you, such power! Plus playing with buttons and making lots of noise is like so much fun! I just glad I go the first run over with, so maybe I'll get a little less nervous every time the pager goes off.

No comments: